The Task Force:
At the June 1998 regional Workshop mentioned above, a task force of ten (10) eminent Ugandans was put in place to set up the Institute. It comprised the following:
- Mr. William Okecho (RIP) - First Chairman, and former Member of Parliament, West Budama County North;
- Ms. Agnes Kataama (RIP) was Vice-Chairperson.
- Mr. Willie Ogule (RIP);
- Mr. James Kalebbo;
- Mrs. Fatumah Nsereko;
- Ms. Esther Fawn Cousens;
- Capt. Gad Gasaatura;
- Mr. George Abola;
- Mrs. Catherine Masaba Wafaana, and
- Mr. Vincent F. Kaheeru (Secretary to the Task Force).
The Task Force did its work between June 1998 and October 2000 when the first Council was elected by the members.
The first Council was headed by:
- Mr. Pius K. Bahemuka as President,
- Mr. Willie Ogule as Vice-President 1, and
- Mr. Vincent F. Kaheeru as Vice-President II and Secretary to the Council.
The first Council, as provided for in the ICGU Memorandum and Articles of Association, had eleven (11) members. In addition to the three mentioned above, it also had:
- Mr. Leo Kibirango,
- Ms. Fawn Cousens,
- Ms. Grace Kabunga,
- Dr. William Kalema (who was always represented by Dr. Maggie Kigozi),
- Mr. Sam F. Owori (R.I.P),
- M/S PricewaterhouseCoopers Uganda Limited (represented by the Country Leader, Mr. George Egaddu, and later, Mr. Joseph Baliddawa),
- Capt. Gad Gasaatura, and
- Mr. Simon Rutega.
In addition to the above individuals, the following have also previously served on the ICGU Governing Council:
- Mr. Edward Musinguzi Mugasa
- Mr. Israel Washington Tuhumwire
- Mrs. Jane B. Langoya
- Mrs. Sarah Walusimbi
- Mr. Richard Wejuli Wabwire
- Dr. Grace Nambatya Kyeyune
- Ms. Rita Balaka Mitala
- Mr. Emmanuel Kalule
The many achievements of the Institute to date are largely attributed to the great efforts, teamwork and excellent leadership of the individuals mentioned above.