ICGU has achieved the following:
- Directors and Senior Managers Workshops and seminars conducted regularly at least once monthly.
- Public awareness lectures on topical issues including Corporate Social Responsibility, Codes of best practice, Corporate Fraud, Business Ethics - a foundation for Economic Growth and Corporate Governance for Sustainable Wealth Creation, Ethics and Business, Legal Liabilities in Corporations and Risk Management in Organisations.
- Twelve issues of the quarterly Journal – Sustainable Wealth Creation, have been produced on different themes on Corporate Governance: below is a list of some of the themes discussed.
- What is Corporate Social Responsibility?
- Grappling with Corporate Tax Fraud
- Demystifying Codes of Best Practice
- Business Ethics: Curbing Corporate Fraud
- Understanding Risk Management
- Legal Liabilities Facing Corporations/Companies
- Is Uganda's Economic Growth amidst Exclusion?
- Attracted assistance from a number of development partners including GTZ/Sida/FSDP, Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), Global Corporate Governance Forum, the Commonwealth Secretariat and Bank of Uganda in form of training, capacity building, and budget support, etc.
- Developed close working relationships with the Commonwealth Association for Corporate Governance (CACG) and the Global Corporate Governance Forum of the World Bank, among others. The ICGU is therefore well equipped and able to access the latest information on the subject of corporate governance disseminated to its members and all its other stakeholders.
- Government support through the Privatization and Utility Sector Reform Project of the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development has helped to start the project. It has received encouraging response and interest from the private sector through the participation in the workshops and membership to the Institute by a number of key organizations in the private sector.
- Membership of 97 corporate entities and 670 individuals as at 12th April, 2019. The number is steadily growing.
- Initiated and established a reference database for potential Directors and Chief Executive Officers (CEOs).
- Drawn up and launched a Manual on Corporate Governance for Uganda giving guidelines on minimum Corporate Governance Standards in the Country.
- Drawn up a Training Manual that guides its training functions. We continue to revise it time and again.
- Conducted a number of consultancies including among others; Economic Policy Research Centre, Kabale University, Uganda Women Network, TASO, Uganda Coffee Development Authority, National Drug Authority, Uganda Road Fund, etc.
- Conducted very successful Public Awareness Lectures which have become our blueprint since their inception. These are held atleast twice every year.
- Our Official facebook page is active for members' views, opinions and comments. Comments are most welcome to enable us improve our performance and also get feedback from our members.
- ICGU signed an MOU with Makerere University Business School and is hoping to enter into more partnerships with various high profile institutions to include corporate governance in their curricula in order to promote good governance among the youth who are the future leaders.
- ICGU is in talks with ICPAU and Uganda Law Society to have certified CPD points in the trainings undertaken.
- ICGU is a founder member and Executive Committee member of the African Corporate Governance Network (ACGN) whose secretariat is housed in NEPAD offices in South Africa. Through this network, ICGU members are poised to benefit from all the members of ACGN across Africa.
ICGU in partnership with Grant Thornton Uganda held the inaugural Corporate Governance Awards on 17th May, 2018 where a number of Organizations from various sectors were awarded for their excellence in Corporate Governance practices and establishing sound/vibrant systems based on good principles of Corporate Governance. These in turn have enabled these Institutions to thrive in their respective sectors and stood to be counted among the promoters of corporate governance. This is now meant to be an annual event that will bring together all Institutions that believe in the gospel of corporate governance to drive and promote it across all other Institutions; both in private and public enterprises.
Conducted a successful inaugural corporate governance members interface gala on 15th November, 2018 which brought together members of the Institute to interact with one another.
The revived general corporate governance trainings for Directors and Senior Managers held every after two (1) month on a three-day (3) split training programme that has seen the awarding of certificates in corporate governance training to participants that have successfully completed the full course on corporate governance. We are proud to announce that we have so far passed out 4 elite groups of corporate governance practitioners who have become our ambassadors within and without their organizations.